Simple Ways to Cut Costs
Cut costs in every area of your life by shopping wisely and taking advantage of discounts. Making smarter spending decisions is another way to "find" money without actually making more. Learn simple ways to save money!
Free Services for DePaul Students:
- Books, CD's, DVD's and more - DePaul's Library offers free access to books, CDs, DVDs, journals, magazines, online resources and more.
- Book Loan and Scholarship Programs - The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) offers scholarships to students experiencing financial need. The book loan program allows students to take books out on loan for the quarter and return the books after finals. CTI, Commerce and Law books are available at the Loop Campus Office, while LA&S books can be found in the Lincoln Park Campus Office.
- Computer classes - Instructional Technology Development offers free classes in Excel, Access and more.
- Concerts and Musical Performances -Many of The School of Music's performances are free to members of the DePaul Community.
- Counseling Services - University Counseling Services offers group and individual counseling sessions. Call (312) 362-6923.
- Fitness Facilities - The Ray Meyer Fitness Center offers free membership for full-time undergraduate students. Discounted membership for graduate and part-time students.
- Health Services - The DePaul Student Health Service is available to students for $60/quarter or $81/semester.
- Legal Services - Student Legal Services offers free or low-cost legal advice to DePaul Students.
- Math Tutors - The Math Center offers FREE math tutors.
- Sports Tickets - DePaul University Athletics offers free admission for students to all Athletic events Free Blue Demon t-shirt each year.
- Theatre Tickets - The Theatre School offers various discounts and free admission for members of the University Community at Theatre School performances
- Writing Tutors - The Writing Center offers FREE writing tutors.
Discounted Services for DePaul Students:
- Depaul's Procurement Services maintains relationships with vendors who offer a discount to DePaul. Visit Demon Discounts website to view all discounts and information on obtaining discounts. The following is a sample of discounts currently offered:
- Retail Stores - Discounts for local stores and online stores.
- Auto Rentals - Discounts available to DePaul students for Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, and iGo Car Sharing.
- Cell phones - AT&T offers 10% of service and 20% of equipment and accessories.
- Computers and Accessories - receive discounts or special educational pricing from Apple and Dell.
- Computer Software -Extremely discounted software available online at e-academy or journeyEd.com.
- Hotels and Accommodations- Discounted rates offered to DePaul Students and families at hotels in the Loop, Lincoln Park, and various other cities.
- Moving Services- Offered through Corrigan Moving Services
- Visit Demon Discounts to view all discounts offers!
- Museums - Chicago's museums offer free days and student discounts. Check out 877chicago.com for a list of free days.
- Movies - Show your student ID. Many theaters offer discounted prices for students.
- Lyric Opera NExT - Pay only $20 for the best opera in the world!
- Many restaurants offer students discounts. The following restaurants offer a 10% discount when you show your DePaul ID:
- Sbarros, DePaul Center
- Quizno's, DePaul Center
- Dunkin Donuts, DePaul Center
- Dunkin Donuts, 62 E. Jackson
- When grocery shopping, buy store brands instead of name brands. Consider using coupons.
- Practice self-control. Make a shopping list, and stick to it. Avoid "impulse" purchases.
- Set an amount you can spend and stick to it.
- Limit the amount of cash you take with you. The less cash you carry, the less you can spend. Consider leaving your debit or credit card at home so you don't have easy access to "plastic cash."
- Keep track of your spending. Develop a budget to give yourself spending limits.
- Buy designer clothing at consignment shops, where you can get often new or gently used clothing at deep discounts.
- Factory discount outlets offer name brand, quality products at less than cost. If you are planning to drive to go shopping, take a few friends and share the cost of gas.
- Many bookstores and music stores offer less expensive used books and compact discs.
- Research before you buy, especially for big purchases. Check other stores or go online and compare prices. Be on the lookout for sales and off-season bargains.
These are just a few ways to make your money last. For additional tips and resources, visit the Shop Smarter Links section.